Happy New Year’s Day!
I thought this was the perfect time to share a quick tip with you, using your leftover New Year’s champagne:
CHAMPAGNE FOR GLOWING SKIN
Grapes have long been used to fight wrinkles, both topically and internally, due to the high antioxidant levels (meaning: they contain components that fight free radicals — which cause inflammation, wrinkles, you name it). Women in Italy use a simple wine and milk mask for smooth, ageless skin; and champagne is often used for clarifying the skin while providing a healthy dose of anti-aging and lightening properties. These lightening properties come from tartaric acid, which is present in champagne and wine due to the juice of grapes (the acid is also found in baking powder and cream of tartar) — so if you have unwanted pigmentation or want to even out your skin tone, champagne is a wonderful solution. Plus, the tartaric acid may help clear up blemishes (it has anti-bacterial properties). Annnnd, the lovely bubbling action of champagne brings micro-circulation to the skin, giving you a pretty glow and and a dewy complexion.
READY TO TRY IT?
The only thing you have to be wary of is the alcohol content. If your skin is extremely sensitive or overly dry, you may want to try it on a small patch of skin first. If your skin does well, then do the champagne treatment (see below for instructions) and follow-up with a nice natural moisturizer. My skin is very dry in the winter, and I found champagne to be a wonderful treatment.
1. This is best used after freshly washed skin, since champagne cleans out and closes the pores.
2. Grab a shallow dish, a measuring spoon (optional), a soft cotton skin pad, and an opened bottle of quality champagne.
3. Pour about 2 Tbsp. of champagne into your dish and drop your cotton pad into the champagne. Let the pad soak it up.
4. Wipe the champagne-soaked cotton pad all over your face, neck, and chest. It is fine to use around the eyes, just don’t get it in there!
5. Don’t rinse off. Follow-up with a light, natural moisturizer — plain ole’ jojoba or sweet almond oil are also great moisturizers.
6. Enjoy your new glow!