I know we all tend to love a little instant gratification, and I wanted to share with you some of my favorite tips for achieving beautiful, smooth, glowing skin in just 1 minute (plus some bonus treatments that take a bit longer).
1 Minute to Beautiful Skin
- One of the most common things I see is that people think they are washing their skin well, when in fact, they’re only taking maybe 15 seconds to haphazardly mush some foam on their face. I invite you to use a timer and cleanse your skin for a full minute. That is thorough enough to remove excess sebum, dirt, makeup, bacteria, and dead skin so as to prevent rough skin texture, dullness, flakes, blackheads, and pustules. Better yet, use a Clarisonic, which gives a gentle yet deep clean and times the cleansing for you. I use the Clarisonic Mia (with the softest sensitive brush head) with a few different incredible cleansers that I keep in my beauty cabinet on rotation. My favorites to use with the Clarisonic are Kahina Cleanser, One Love Organics Easy Does It, and SIRCUIT Supermild.
- Ice and green tea are my favorite do-it-yourself tools for eliminating puffiness, redness, and inflammation. For a pimple, apply an ice cube or a cold spoon (put a metal spoon in the freezer) for 1 minute directly to the pimple (if your skin is sensitive, wrap the ice cube or spoon in a tissue). Cold constricts blood vessels, and in the case of a pimple, it reduces inflammation, thereby shrinking the pimple. To reduce overall redness, shrink a pimple, or de-puff your eyes, use a few tea bags to make a cup of green tea and apply the cold tea bags to your face. The caffeine and cold will reduce water retention and redness. If you have under eye circles caused by thin skin and vein show-through, green or black tea will work wonders for your eye area.
5 to 10 Minutes to Beautiful Skin
- This is a fun one. You know that herbal laxative, Swiss Kriss? Well, the loose leaf version makes for an amazing facial steam. Grab a tablespoon or two of Swiss Kriss flakes, a bowl of hot water, and a towel. This is great to use during the steam part of an at-home facial, or just after cleansing your skin as part of your nightly skin care ritual. This little 5 minute treatment contains healing and clarifying herbs for blemish prevention and will increase circulation to your face, which aids in healing and giving you a lovely glow. In case you don’t know how to steam, simply put your face above the steaming Swiss Kriss water (make sure you are at least 8–12 inches above the water so you don’t get burned by the steam) and tent the towel over your head to keep the steam in.
- Apply a gentle exfoliating mask like plain yogurt or Manuka honey. Plain, unsweetened organic yogurt contains good bacteria and lactic acid to fight blemishes and exfoliate the top layer of dead skin. Manuka honey increases circulation, lifts debris out of the pores, prevents and heals blemishes, and is gently exfoliating. Pick one and apply it to your face. Leave on for 10 minutes and rinse away to reveal smooth, plump, glowing skin.
60 Minutes to Beautiful Skin
- Go workout! A 60 minute session of yoga, pilates, walking, running, or a combination of them will get your blood pumping and increase circulation to your skin, bringing nutrition to your organs (including your largest one – your skin) for healing and rejuvenation. Plus, your skin gets a gorgeous glow and you will feel amazing after a workout. Even a 15 minute high intensity interval training (HIIT) session will do the trick.
- Cleanse your skin and apply a luxurious, skin healing, skin balancing mask that is meant to be left on for 30–60 minutes. One of my all-time favorites (and a huge favorite among my incredible readers) is May Lindstrom The Problem Solver. You can use this mask prior to a big event or on a regular basis once or twice per week for calm, glowing, plump, blemish-free skin.
- Do an at-home facial. This is a real treat and a lovely ritual to do for yourself at least once per month.
1 Week to Beautiful Skin
- The right foods can make a HUGE difference in the look and feel of your skin. When you start incorporating great food into your diet, you will see your skin becoming brighter and clearer within a week. Stick with it for 4 weeks and most people notice a complete turnaround in the way their skin looks – totally clear, glowing, and smooth. You can see all the details in my articles and in my book.
Do you have any tips to share on getting beautiful skin quickly? Leave a comment! (And I would love to hear which tips you try and what you liked!)